The Stouffville Chamber of Commerce was formed in 1977 as a non-profit organization of community business members. For over 35 years, the Chamber has supported Member businesses by providing valuable business information and resources through networking opportunities and educational events.
In addition to its business development endeavours, the Chamber office manages GO ticket sales and provides schedule information, and acts as a Tourist Information Centre for visitors to the area.
Stouffville is a continually evolving community, overflowing with opportunity. Strategically located in the heart of the Greater Toronto Area in York Region, it is the third-fastest-growing community in Canada, and the second-fastest-growing in Ontario. And, as the community grows, so does its business needs. The Chamber is committed to understanding and supporting those needs to ensure ongoing growth and business sustainability.
An affluent community with young, educated and entrepreneurial talent, Stouffville truly is a great place to grow!
The Founding of Stouffville:
In 1805-06 Abraham Stouffer (1780-1851), a Pennsylvania Mennonite, acquired 160 ha of land in this area. By 1824 he had built a saw and grist-mill on Duffin’s Creek, near which a hamlet developed, and in 1832 a post-office named Stouffville was established. The community grew steadily and in 1852 a village plot was laid out. By 1864 Stouffville, with a population of about 700 inhabitants, contained several prosperous industries, including carriage-works, harness-works, and the mills of Edward Wheler, a prominent merchant. The construction of the Toronto and Nipissing Railway, completed in 1871, and growing agricultural prosperity stimulated the community’s growth as an important milling and commercial centre. Stouffville was incorporated as a Village by a County by-law of 1876.